"Find out what you like doing best and get someone to pay you for it."
Senior/ Principal Geotechnical Engineers – UK
Job Reference: CJU01
- Location: Wallingford, Oxford, UK
- Salary: dependent on experience
The Client is one the world’s leading, independent provider of geo-intelligence and asset integrity solutions for large constructions, infrastructure and natural resources, providing the technical data and information required to design, construct and maintain large structures and infrastructure in a safe, reliable and efficient manner.
Their engineers develop new industry-leading methods through collaboration with their on-site geotechnical laboratory and is one of the world’s largest and most advanced commercial laboratories through their close relationships with numerous academic institutions.
The client has approximately 10,000 employees in around 65 countries.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities associated with this position include, but are not limited to:
- Working on both onshore and offshore geotechnical engineering projects;
- Maintain and improve technical profile through internal research and development, academic collaboration and regular publication in their specific technical area of expertise;
- Recommend, evaluate and implement improvements in a specific technical area, develops new products and supervises the optimisation of new and existing product efficiency;
- Act as a project manager and/ or technical lead for multiple projects, ensuring project delivery and proactive corrective action as required to ensure Client satisfaction;
- Evaluate, develop and check geotechnical data, soil parameters and standard and bespoke geotechnical analyses, including advanced numerical analyses;
- Approve geotechnical analyses and associated reporting aligned with experience;
- Lead technical training, technical proposals and technically-led business development activities;
- Lead development of inter-company and Client relationships, including attendance at project or development related internal and Client meetings;
- Supports commercial and management reporting of geotechnical engineering projects;
- Helps ensure that direct reports fulfil their own job descriptions and are given the assistance required to achieve goals and development targets as set in appraisals.
- Significant proven post-graduate experience within a geotechnical engineering consultancy environment, including implementation of significant technical developments and management of multiple geotechnical engineering projects and detailed analysis. Experience in seismic soil-structure interaction analyses is highly desirable.
- Degree in Civil Engineering or related discipline or equivalent in education and experience. post-graduate qualification (Master’s and/ or Doctoral) in geotechnical engineering is preferred;
- Preferably professional Chartered status or have evidence that you are close to achieving chartered status.
The skills required with this position include, but are not limited to:
- Proficiency in relevant geotechnical software including finite element and limit state analysis programmes (e.g. Plaxis, Abaqus, LimitState:GEO, SlopeW etc.);
- Excellent technical skills in relation to energy and/ or infrastructure geotechnical design. The ideal candidate would have significant experience in seismic soil-structure interaction analyses;
- A creative thought process to engineering problems. Advancing existing design methods and having contributed towards the conference and/ or journal publications would be a significant advantage;
- Demonstrable experience in managing technically and commercially successful projects;
- Knowledge of key industry design standards and codes within their area of experience;
- The ability to understand, interpret and critique results from standard and advanced laboratory testing, and be able to derive appropriate design soil parameters;
- Experience of the interpretation and design application of dynamic and cyclic soil testing is desirable;
- Advanced Microsoft Office user, particularly Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel;
- The ability to lead and develop teams and technical development alongside in-office and global technical leads;
- The ability to produce accurate numerical and written work with attention to detail;
- Experience and confidence in Client management and development of Client relationships;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication. This role requires frequent interaction with and presentation to various project stakeholders;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Organisation and project management;
- Programming skills would be beneficial (e.g. Python and/ or VBA).
- Benefits for this role include a competitive salary accompanied by an attractive package including contributory pension scheme, life assurance, 24 days annual leave, private medical insurance and a subsidised restaurant.